Translate

Friday, April 13, 2012

Home-School Gardening Class

Today was our gardening class for our local home-school group. The main purpose of the class was to help beginning gardeners get off to a successful start, which in turn helps to plant a love for gardening. The reasons why everyone should have their own garden are too many to list in this article. Let me only say that knowing how to raise your own food is very valuable in this day and age, and actually doing it can give you more fun and satisfaction than you can imagine. As many of my friends already know, this is a real challenge in this part of the country! It is not naturally fertile and productive. For that reason, I have been researching and experimenting with different methods and ideas, and I believe I have found at least one very effective way of raising great vegetables. This method can be used anywhere this side of the arctic circle, with minor modifications.

My goal was to make it possible for even a six-year-old to have a successful garden. This is not so hard if you accept the fact that an area as small as four feet square, or even a 2-foot by 2-foot box might be called a garden. Which is in fact what I ended up showing them how to do! These same principles can be applied to any size garden you want, with outstanding results even in this hot and rocky corner of the world!

I will try now to post here on this blog (over the next several days and weeks) much of the information that we shared today. I will also try to use this site to let you know what is happening in my garden, as well as use it to answer questions and solve local garden problems. Hopefully this will help those that could not make it to our little Gardening Class to jump right in and use the same methods we shared, and also be a good place for those that were here to refer back to.

By the way, we have free kittens right now, if anybody wants some. Still on milk. I confess that they were much better at holding the children's attention than I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment